What started out this year as a fast and furious blogging experience has definitely become a trickle. Here’s some bits of what’s been happnin’:
(1) Watched Eastern Promises a few nights ago. Definitely worth a look. brutal, savage, bloody – all good Cronenbergian adjectives fit this one. Except “surreal”. The Ukranian accents can be a bit thick to penetrate at times but the story moves along at a nice pace and the steam room brawl is (literally) balls out intense.
(2) Ratatouille is a great flick as well. The adults watched it Christmas night after the kids were all tucked in (they watched it earlier that day). Good laughs and incredible animation again from Pixar. Our family snuggled up last night in the king-size bed for a repeat viewing. We’ll be watching plenty more I suppose.
(3) Waitress was a delightfully simple film. Simple premise, simple characters and you have a simple smile on your face the whole time. I just got another film from writer/director Adrien Shelly, “I’ll Take You There”, looking forward to it. The tragedy of Shelly’s death is not one to ignore – her talent was apparent to all in the industry and Waitress would have propelled her to national identity.
(4) I wasted my time with Live Free or Die Hard. The first hour was somewhat worthy of the concept but the latter half turned into complete crap. After the movie ended (at 11pm) I immediately got out the original Die Hard DVD and watched it. Nothing better to get that acrid taste of the previous film out of my system.
(5) Talk to Me is worth a watch. Don Cheadle does a great job as the jive-talking 70’s era Washington DC DJ, Dewey Peters. I knew nothing of this man and was impressed with the impact he had on the city and the races. The movie is funny as hell and Cheadle owns the whole thing.
(6) I only watched The Office on TV this year until the writer’s strike over. My favorite from last year, Heroes, was unwatchable crap for the first four weeks so I gave up on it. I’m going to watch the first season again on DVD with my wife (she missed it) to make me feel better.
(7) Haven’t been reading too many books lately – although I just picked up Clive Barker’s new one (about time!).
(8) Xavier Bball is in full force with their toughest non-conference sked ever. Good wins vs. Indiana, Kent State, Creighton, UC. Tough losses vs. Miami, Tennessee and ASU. Next three games will tell a lot about our January – KSU, Virginia, Auburn. Three BCS schools in one week. Then the conference starts and the A-10 is loaded after a lot of down years. Dayton and Rhode Island are ranked, UMASS is knockin’ on the door. Brutal year ahead.
(9) We have been non-stop since Halloween. Kids turned 6 and 3 in November, I turned 37(!) in December, Christmas parties, holiday travels and now New Year’s Eve tonight. 2008 can’t come soon enough.